Diversity Development Program
The Diversity Development Program celebrates the diversity that exists in the UCI community and focuses on the dynamics essential to a harmonious environment. Participants will have an opportunity to explore differences in background and identities and find common ground for supporting diversity and inclusion at UCI. This 25-hour certificate program underscores the importance of faculty and staff commitment to diversity, which has implications for recruitment and retention, patient satisfaction, supervisor effectiveness, employee morale and community development.
The program is interactive, and includes exercises designed to promote full participation. Program content and skill building activities include:
- Core workshops dealing with diversity at UCI
- Topics that reflect issues specific to various groups in the UCI community, and
- Multicultural activities and events (e.g, open forums, social/cultural events)
Participants in the program may expect to:
- Explore the significance of their background, culture, and unique experiences in defining their identity and expectations.
- Examine their attitudes, experiences, and decision-making processes as they relate to diversity.
- Examine how personal beliefs and behaviors affect students, colleagues, and interpersonal interactions in a multicultural environment.
- Address issues and concerns about diversity in the immediate work environment and the campus and medical center at-large in order to create a more harmonious UCI community.
The program addresses:
- Differences in communication style, group dynamics, and work-related expectations among participants from different backgrounds.
- Expectations and perceptions of colleagues, managers, and administrators resulting from cultural/group membership.
- Discomfort and fears associated with differences and changes in the workplace.
- Problem identification and conflict resolution in a diverse work environment.
- Ways to become empowered to confront divisive issues related to diversity.
- How to convert knowledge and information into usable skills and new behaviors when managing diversity.
- The availability of campus and community resources on multicultural issues, events, and activities.
A diverse group of staff, faculty, students, and administrators from UCI and other institutions, representing years of successful experience in diversity and/or human relations, present the program.
The program consists of ten morning sessions, 9:00 am to 11:30 am, offered one day every other week from January through May. Please click here for dates and topics of current and past years' programs.
The program is open to all UCI faculty and staff, regardless of job classification. In an effort to enrich the personal experiences and interpersonal interactions of each participant, a limited number of applicants will be selected each year. Each participant must commit to attend each session, and obtain the appropriate release time for the program. A certificate will be awarded upon completion of the program. Program alumni will have the opportunity to contribute to future program planning efforts.
This program is FREE to all UCI faculty and staff.
The Diversity Development Program is on hiatus for the 2017-18 year. Please come back in September 2018 for an updated status on the program. For more information about the program, contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity at email@example.com or (949) 824-5594.